Peplink MAX HD1 Dome

Has anyone tested substituting a less expensive SIM Bank for the Peplink “Injector” for Remote SIM management on the HDx Dome product line, either on the LAN or WAN side?

I’m not sure I fully understand your question. Are you talking about using a 3rd party device that can hold SIM cards and advertise them to the dome similar to the SIM injector? I wasn’t aware that was an open protocol or standard to do that sort of thing - I thought Peplink may have “rolled their own” way of doing that.

Do you have links to any product or solution that might do this?

ESIMs Are A Better Option Than A SIM Injector
No SIM Injector or SIM Bank needed where ESIMs are available and if the HDx Dome contains an ESIM card to upload them into. Peplink’s HD2 specification sheet does not state whether or not ESIMs are supported, I assume not. And I suspect that a couple of ESIM cards are about 1/100 the cost of their SIM Injector. Why make such a trade off?

HD Dome to Injector Software – Open Source or Proprietary?
With regard to Peplink’s Injector or a generic SIM Bank, my general understanding is that Peplink does not use proprietary software like some other modem companies; one in the UK comes to mind. I have yet to ask Peplink what glue/protocol they use to communicate to their SIM Injector, though, they usually push all questions off to distributors so an answer may not be likely.

Protocol Speculation:
With regard t the protocol the HD Dome may use to handshake with the Peplink’s SIM Injector, according to the website discoverytelecom.eu, there is a protocol for remote SIM Bank management wherein the SIM bank is connected to a “GOIP” device.

It states that the GOIP is a GSM device with “Remote SIM support”.

A GSM device means “Global System for Mobile Communications” which is one of the most common mobile network standards. I would expect that the two modems in the HD2 Peplink Dome are GSM devices with some type of Remote SIM support software. Is that software proprietary or open source?

It appears that the Remote SIM support for discoverytelecom.eu’s SIM Bank is via a Linux utility call a “SIM Bank Scheduler Server” used by the GOIP to communicate with a SIM Bank.

Hybertone.com also has a version of the Linux utility by the same name.

I downloaded the source code from the discoverytelecom site in order to read its license, but it was in Chinese.

In addition, there are also a number of GOIP GSM utilities at github.com.

In Summary
ESIMs, where available, uploaded into a modem’s ESIM Card sure would be a lot simpler and 1/100th the cost of a Peplink’s SIM Injector.