Recommended Internet Systems & Cellular Plans

Hi Adam,
Congrats on the new boat and adventure!

The HD1 Dome Pro will work around any antenna length cable issues. I’ve tested it and it is a very nice product, very similar to the HD1 Dome I reviewed a couple of years ago. They have been around a number of years, and I used them extensively on my on boat for several years. The Dome Pro has a WiFi radio in it, which is a new feature, and of course the 5G radio.

Not sure I understand your question on a 20’ antenna run?

The mini SIM injector could definitely work for you if you are using the dome.

There are some random Peplink products that support eSIMs, but for very specific reasons. Their general routers do not as far as I am aware.

Hi Steve –

Thanks for the quick response! The “20’ antenna run question” was asking if the combination of a discrete router and an antenna could be a viable alternative to the Max HD1 Dome Pro, or would the loss from a 20’ cable between the router and the antenna make this not feasible.

Also, reading your posts from a few years ago, it seems that you were having lots of problems with the SIM Inserter. Have those issues since been resolved?

Adam

20’ from antenna to router isn’t a problem at all. That’s what I have right now for my two antennas, and that is the rule of thumb length-wise that I’ve used for 100’s of installations. In many cases, the router is put nearer to the antennas specifically to keep that length down, and then an access point for WiFi is used closer to where people will be working from.

The SIM injector had some issues early on, but it is a lot more reliable now. It’s still a bit different than using a real SIM card, and requires some futzing there if you change things a lot, but otherwise works well.

Super helpful! Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Steve, I’m hoping you can help me with some advice about potentially using different antennas for a 2x2 MIMO - but before I do - I really appreciate your site and your topics, you’ve inspired me to put an RPI in my boat, though a topic for another day…

Here’s my situation - I’m setting up a local internet capability on a cruiser boat being used in the Great Lakes, Canada. Our goal (my wife and daughter’s goal) is connectivity in areas where cell coverage is weak, we’re less focused on high speed / Netflix streaming. For those who are familiar - we’ll be making trips through the North Channel - north of Manitoulin Island.

I’m looking at an RUTX11 or Max BR1 Mk2, so I’ll have 2 Wifi and 2 LTE (CAT 6) antenna ports. Here’s my dilemma for LTE: connect both ports to a 20G for MIMO … OR… connect 1 port to a higher gain / longer range SISO antenna (like a Poynting OMNI-400) and the other port to a much smaller puck style antenna (22G or PUCK-5)… Best solution would clearly be 2 high-gain SISO, but I don’t have the room! Do I create an issue if the 2 LTE antenna’s aren’t equally capable?

I’m less focused on the Wifi as WAN, but do intend to take advantage of the capability with an OMNI-496 (the only other space I have for antenna) and the other port connected to the same puck style antenna… And, of course, GPS and redundancy from the puck style antenna.

Thanks in advance,
andrew

Hi Andrew,
I would lean towards using a single 20G with both ports connected. Even with the slightly higher gain of an OMNI-400, you’re not going to get as much carrier aggregation - when the two “channels” in the LTE radio are bonded together to two different or similar nodes on the remote tower. In a lot of low signal areas, I see this providing a better overall connection and usable signal than a single channel.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much Steve - truly appreciate you having real experience in low signal areas.
Cheers, andrew

1 Like

Hi Steve,

After my less-than-satisfactory result with the Glomex WebBoat 4G, I’m again perusing the options :slight_smile: I clicked on your link to the Pepwave BR1 MK2 above and it is apparently NLA - they are sending you to the “MAX BR1 Mini LTE Router (HW3)” as a sub - cheaper, too! I wonder if you’ve had a chance to see this?

Hartley

Hi Hartley,
I do need to update a couple of links in this article, including that one. The MAX BR1 Mini is definitely an option for a cellular router. Keep in mind that it is inexpensive for a few reasons:

• It is an entry level product. You’re not going to get flaming speeds with this unit
  • Depending on the version you choose, you’ll either have a category 4 or category 7 LTE radio. Both of these are very limited and quite old in the case of the category 4. Most new stuff is category 20 or higher.
  • This will be LTE/4G only, no 5G.

Depending on where you use it, how it’s cabled, and where the antennas are, plus of course the plan you use with it, it could be comparable to the speeds you saw from the Glomex unit.

Trying to follow along and make best use of what I have. The goal is to maximize my internet options via both cell and Wi-Fi.

I have a Peplink Max BR1 LTE and just ordered a Mobility 22G antenna. Do I still need a Groove or similar to boost the Wi-Fi signals, or will just 22G do? If I do need a Groove, can I use the 22G antenna for the Groove? It looks like it has 2 Wi-Fi wires and each have a different signal range. Not sure which to use if it’s needed.

The Mobility 22G antenna could be connected to the Peplink MAX BR1 LTE’s WiFi ports and you could use a Peplink feature called WiFi as WAN to “grab” a remote WiFi signal and pull it into the router. However, the MAX BR1 LTE might require an additional license to do this, although I did see they were relaxing this on some of their products recently.

There are some downsides to using the 22G with the MAX BR1 LTE - it will share the WiFi radios/devices that create your local WiFi network and are used for WiFi as WAN resulting in less performance overall. This isn’t as big of an issue with some of the bigger Peplink routers, but the MAX BR1 is one of their entry level routers, and might suffer when used this way more than others.

The Groove comes with its own antenna, so you could do that too still if you wanted. The Groove is likely to perform better and grabbing remote WiFi signals, but is harder to configure, requires a separate power supply source, and would need to be cabled to the WAN port on your BR1.

Hi Again Steve! I replaced the defunct Glomex with a MAX BR1 Mini HW(3), which I’m getting up & running before returning to the boat in a few weeks. The first issue right off the top was I needed a new SIM, as the one in the Glomex is a micro, and the mini needs a nano. So I went on Verizon’s web site and tried to order one - which turned into a week of customer “service” hell. Apparently, Verizon won’t acknowledge that the Peplink router is compatible with Verizon - even though their “bring your own device” (byod) page says it is. (I asked Peplink about it, and they pointed me to that page).
So rep after rep would try to enter it, get some bizarre error response and would try to tell me my device wasn’t compatible. Today a “2nd level tech support” guy went in and told the system I still had my olde MiFi on that line, forced the Verizon store farkles to give me a new SIM, entered it into their system, and lo & behold its working! But I am still close to moving my 4 lines out of Verizon probably to T-mobile because this is just stupid. I note that if you use that “byod” page, it pushes you to a Business account, so maybe they don’t want personal account holders bringing their own stuff?
Anyway, thanks for all the great advice, I’ll let you know how it goes when I get the antennas installed on Atsa :slight_smile:

Hartley
S/V Atsa

I usually just use a SIM cutter and slice things down smaller. Might be an easier route if you ever have to do this again. I also use these universal SIM adapters to go back and forth between equipment that has different sized slots.

All carriers usually freak out trying to provision any SIM for anything other than the standard mainline phones they sell. Many get really hung up on Peplink because they don’t understand what it is. Sometimes you can ask to be escalated to the technical team or a senior engineer and they will have done it before and can help.

My preference is to never talk to them, and just cut my SIMs the right size, and put them in the devices. I have not had any issues with moving things around unless the device is so new they have never seen it.

Hi Steve, I think you are right - if I could have just slipped the old SIM into the Peplink, it would have just worked. But the olde micro SIM appears to be ceramic, so I don’t know if it would cut down properly. The new one from Verizon is plastic, and I’m sure it could be cut.
I talked to the T-Mobile rep, and they knew what it was, and knew it would need a “data only” plan & a new physical SIM - no Unlimited Plan for these devices :slight_smile: But thats OK, at least I don’t have to play games.
I surveying the Internet, it is becoming clear that Verizon views an LTE Router as something for their “Home” product & plan line - and the thought of one of their “Home” devices moving around makes them crazy :slight_smile: . “Just tell us the address where it will be located” My response: “Atlantic Ocean” =8^O .

Hartley

1 Like

Hi Steve,

As promised, I’ve installed the MAX BR1 Mini on Atsa, and its working great! I had only one surprise - I put PoE power onto the #1 LAN cable, but it didn’t work. So I installed one of the PoE extractors onto the router end, chopped off the AC power cord (after testing the pins in the plug - it connects 12V to both +V and Ignition) and connected it - works a charm. The surprise was the wire colors inside the cable: black, red and white. You would think that it would be black -V, red and white +V - but no! White is -V, red & white are +V.
I do have a problem with my Groove, however, which i’m sure is just configuration. The Groove is on its default 192.168.88.1 setting, and was working fine connected to the (now removed) Netlink router’s WAN port. When I put it into the BR1’s WAN port, however, the router passes it through and my laptop gets sent an 192.168.88.x IP - so I can converse with the Groove, but nothing else works! Should I move the Groove over to the 192.168.50.xx address space? I’ve set it up so the groove only gets power when I want it, but it would be nice to have both working together.

73 DE Hartley
S/V Atsa

Yeah these colors have been frustrating. I’ve commented on it before to Peplink but it doesn’t seem to have changed their choices…

That’s not normal behavior, so either your WAN port is setup strangely, or something else is going on. It shouldn’t pass the IP addresses back into your private network, and I wouldn’t change it to match that either. Something else is going on…

Hi Steve,

I see I wrote that “red & white are V+” – obviously wrong :frowning: Red and BLACK are V+! [White is V-] I think I’ve identified the connector as a Molex “Micro-Fit” of the 3mm persuasion.

Yes, I must have something wacky on that WAN port, I’ll dig into it when I get back aboard - meanwhile the connection has been 100% to VRM since I left so I can watch my voltages & temperatures from afar :slight_smile:

Hartley

1 Like