Working remotely from the boat

Hi Rob,
Unfortunately I don’t really have any suggestions because I don’t know the layout of your boat or any other details :slight_smile:

Your goal is amenable - keeping the factory cables directly connected to the router is the best choice if at all possible. I’ve put Peplink routers in flybridge cabinets, under fiberglass tables, in storage cubbies, and even in Pelican cases when mounting them. The extreme examples include things like empty satellite TV domes - mounting the router inside of that with the antennas as well, or nearby, is an option.

Steve

Thank you for your response. Two of your suggestions have caught my eye. I am trying to choose between mounting the router in a waterproof enclosure (similar to the pelican case you had mentioned) or mounting it inside of an empty satellite TV dome. I currently have a KVH sat tv dome on my boat and we have no plans on using it. If I were to use the dome, I would want to remove the equipment from it so that I can use it for the router. Using the dome would almost certainly not require extending the cables. If I go with the waterproof enclosure instead of the dome, I would have easier access to the router, but I might need to extend the cables, and I am concerned about the router overheating in the enclosure. I believe the router is able to operate at 150 degrees Fahrenheit but the boat is located in Florida so it will definitely be hot (not sure if this concern is justified).

A few questions:
Should I be concerned about water or corrosion damage if I choose to keep the router in the dome?

Should I be concerned about overheating if I choose the waterproof enclosure?

What would you recommend?

Any tips/suggestions?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

anecdotal but i think the domes are sealed pretty effectively. Pulled the guts out of a v7 dome to swap in a v30 and the old v7 hardware
looks immaculate and the gear has been there for at least 13 years

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Thank you. Anyone else please feel free to chime in!

It needs to be kept dry, so if the dome leaks or has some other issue, then you may have an issue. By being outside it may be more exposed to salt water corrosion through the ambient humidity but that is probably not going to affect it as much. You can use dielectric grease or something similar for parts that are metal and exposed.

You actually may have the issue with both approaches. If the waterproof enclosure is black and exposed to a lot of sun and has no vent at all, it will definitely overheat at some point. 150F sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t as that includes the heat generated from the unit, the case, and everything else. I’ve seen many Peplink routers mounted on the dashes of cars or pilothouses overheat just from being in direct sun.

Having a temp controlled fan or some sort of vent might be necessary for both.

Definitely a lot of good information there. Lets say I go with the dome idea. If I take the satellite equipment out of it and see no signs of corrosion, is it safe to assume that dome is properly sealed and I shouldn’t have to worry about corrosion or moisture? Also, the dome is white and much larger than the router so I don’t think temperatures would reach 150 degrees in there but just in case I could add a thermometer that I can monitor from my phone. If temperature is higher than I like then I could catch it early and adjust accordingly. What do you think? Thanks again for the help!

I think you have a good plan! As long as it’s dry, and there’s enough space, you should be good.

1 Like

Thanks again for all the help.

1 Like