Meet Aruna!

Please welcome the newest addition to our family - Aruna, a 2003 Kristen Yachts steel pilot house trawler. She joined our family on December 30th, 2023, a day before my 50th birthday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://seabits.com/meet-aruna

Congrats!! I’m really looking forward to hearing about her electrical/electronic systems and related upgrade projects. (with lots of pics! :wink: )

1 Like

Congrats for your new metal boat I’m sure you will enjoy the steel hull. If you need any advice for steel maintenance I build a 47 steel sailboat (stainless deck and infrastructure) in 2008 and so far no rust at all. I did a lot of research though on paint and I learned a lot from a friend who’s a NACE paint inspector. I’ll be glad to help because your previous articles on internet at sea helped me so much.

All the best !

1 Like

Looks like a great boat! It will be a lot of fun hearing about the changes you make to it as time goes on. Congratulations, good luck with her, and thank you for the update.

1 Like

Congrats, nice looking boat. My current boat came with the same bullfrog tender/30hp motor combo. I really liked the durability and stability but the weight to hp ratio was too high. The 30hp motor was able to get on plane with 1-2 people but 3 or more it just didn’t have the oomph to get up on plane. I replaced with a traditional inflatable w/60hp that can plane with 4 or 5 people.

Looking at Aruna anchored in Liberty Bay this morning. She is a fine looking trawler! This coming from a fellow trawler owner.

I wish you many years of calm seas and fair winds!

There will be lots of projects :hammer_and_wrench: and lots of pictures :camera_flash: don’t worry!

Thank you so much! This is my first steel boat, so I may take you up on that at some point. I have some small areas of rust that need attention, but it’s mostly exterior and in places that make sense as they’re hard to maintain.

This is exactly what I was wondering. 90% of the time it will be just me, and about 5% of the rest of the time it will be 2 of us, and then the last 5% it will be more people, so I am thinking it will work fine for me for now. It’s quite a tank - seems like it could handle just about anything! And, I go ashore a lot on really bad beaches, and missed my Highfield dinghy, which I had two boats ago, and had the aluminum bottom that I just drug up on shore.

1 Like

Thank you! I am in Liberty Bay - testing out systems and playing with the dinghy.

Awesome write-up - can’t wait for more deep dives on the journey and upgrades!

I’m in EBM, let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands

Thanks for the offer! I moved to Shilshole back in October of 2023!

1 Like

Ballard isnt far and it would be a mini apprenticeship :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations Steve! What a beautiful ship! Hope to run into you soon! Don and Jill

1 Like

No wonder every time I hail your boat it has a new owner at the helm!

Did you know there is a Kristen 46 at liberty Bay marina. Blue hull next to the tolly I’m working on now.

I did know of her. I saw her there a couple of months ago and she’s got a new name. I’ve not been able to track down the owners yet. I do have pictures from when she sold a year ago and she’s quite different inside and slightly less LOA.