Modular, cheaper boat internet solution via Netgear and MikroTik

I’ve written a lot about my boat network, and in particular, Peplink products that offer a ton of functionality and features. However, those come at a cost – the top of the line compact unit from Peplink can run almost $1000. For the last 6 months, I have been playing with configurations and hardware that cost less, but still provide flexibility and features that more expensive solutions offer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://seabits.com/modular-cheaper-boat-internet-solution-via-netgear-and-mikrotik/

This internet setup is much closer to what I’m looking for compared to some of your other posts on the Peplink/similar products. I already have a Netgear Nighthawk M1 that will suffice as the mobile modem. I haven’t seen any updates to the MikroTik Groove, but it does look like there are two newer versions of the MikroTik HAP AC since this article was written. Do you have experienced with either of those, or is there another router you would recommend for dual WAN at a similar price point?

Hi @willingham,
There are a bunch of new MikroTik hAP models that have come out. I’ve not been able to keep up with all of them, but the software is the same on almost all of them.

For the speeds you’d be experiencing with LTE, all of them would work well. I chose the hAP AC at the time because it had dual band WiFi and multiple ports. Almost all of the MikroTik platforms with multiple ports will allow you to have multiple WANs - its just a factor of configuring the software bridges. Some have limitations based on the chipsets.

All of them are more complicated with multiple WANs, and can be frustrated if one or more of the WAN ports change frequently. Their active/standby logic is very basic, so just keep that in mind. If you are not expecting a lot of changes between WAN devices, then it could work out well for you.