Secondhand Peplink gear: caveat emptor

A word of warning to those purchasing secondhand Peplink gear: make sure to immediately test adding the device to your organization via InControl. Much like buying an iPhone without the previous owner undoing the activation lock, if you find yourself unable to contact the original owner whose organization the device still belongs to you are SOL if you want to manage it via InControl, use it with SpeedFusion Cloud, etc.

1 Like

Great advice. Sometimes Peplink support can help if you can provide enough info to convince them that you own the product now, but it can be frustrating.

I’ve also had a lot of secondhand gear I’ve purchased that didn’t have warranties renewed, and that meant either paying a recertification fee, if they have that capability, or ending up with an unsupported piece of hardware. That usually means not being able to get firmware upgrades, or not being able to use online management tools like inControl. The worst ones I’ve had were purchases of refreshed or refurbished gear off of Amazon.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve! I have an HD2 I’d love to use with SFC/IC2 if I can figure out how to overcome this issue. You’ve given me a glimmer of hope that Peplink support might be able to help me sort it out.

1 Like