Set up Signal K and Grafana on Raspberry Pi with PICAN-M NMEA 2000 board

Hi
Thank you for the instructions. Works immediately. :smiley:
I connected an I2C sensor at the PICAN M. How do I get this data on Signal K?
Run over the can0?
Thanks.

Your question is likely a bit more advanced. I would look into Signal K documentation and perhaps join their Slack channel and investigate getting data into the system from your sensor. There are also a lot of plugins for Signal K that could address this already.

Steve, Thank you for the awesome instructions. Hitting two errorsā€¦
Signal K and Pican-M are connected and sending data. I am trying to setup the DB and hit the following:

1. the first is during the apt-key add. I get Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).

2. I canā€™t find grafana
    sudo apt-get install -y grafana
    Reading package listsā€¦ Done
    Building dependency treeā€¦ Done
    Reading state informationā€¦ Done
    E: Unable to locate package grafana

Thanks

1 Like

What version of operating system are you using? It sounds like you might have a newer version or that theyā€™ve changed something.

I think this is related to #1 if youā€™re not able to add the repository and key for grafana, you canā€™t install it.

Steve, Thanks for getting back to me.

I am running Debian Bullseye Lite (64 bit), which is the April 4th 2022 release. I was able install using the instructions located in the PiMyLifeup link using gpg for Grfana and InfluxDB.

I do now have InfluxDB and Grafana setup and workingā€¦

Setting up a VPN to retrieve settings and build dashboards from home next!

1 Like

Hi. Did anyone sort out this issue? Iā€™m setting up a new system and having the same problem. On boot, the ExecStart command fails. But after things come up I can start the service and it works. Seems like there is a missing dependency someplace.

Hey Steve,

Itā€™s been a while since I played with it, but I think there was an update to the base operating system of the Pi operating system that caused this. I think I was able to get it working by following the instructions from here: PiCAN-M with CAN-Bus Micro-C and RS422 Connector + 3A SMPS ā€” SK Pang Electronics Ltd

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
auto can0
iface can0 inet manual
pre-up /sbin/ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000 up /sbin/ifconfig can0 up
down /sbin/ifconfig can0 down

Let me know if that works!

1 Like

Just tried it. It didnā€™t help. I did add a ā€œsleep 5ā€ to the socketcan-interface.service files ExecStart line and that seems to work.
Wish I new what it needs to wait for.

1 Like

Steve,
first off many thanks for your inspiring work. I followed the protocol you describe in the article, and successfully got all the info from my Seatalk1/SeatalkNG instruments over to the raspberry pi4b with PICAN-M board, running signalK within OpenPlotter, and residing at the nav station (Bavaria 37 Cruiser).

I have PICAN-M HAT powered from the SeaTalkNG. Only now I realised that having a separate power supply for the raspberry pi would be better. The tech support person from SK Pang electronics claims that powering raspberry pi via the USB is ok even if the NMEA2000 network is connected to the PICAN-M.

I vaguely remember that someone here installed a NMEA2000 power insulator to preclude the voltage from the network onto PICAN-M. What do you think?

Regards

1 Like