Starlink flat high performance in-motion dish initial impressions

Starlink has a new dish that is interesting for the marine world. There are some pros and cons with the new option, and I've had a week or so to test with some interesting results.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://seabits.com/starlink-flat-high-performance/

Steve, a comprehensive and informative post as always. You hit on every point!

We are running the RV version and loving it. But if they shut it off for profit (during motion, no matter how slow) we will be very disappointed.

The issue: how the heck (where the heck) can I mount this on my sailboat ? I don’t even mind paying if I had to because it’s a total game changer, but I just can’t think of where I can mount it we don’t have an arch. A real head scratcher.

Maybe I’ll have to install a rail mount fish tray and bolt it to that! Lol.

1 Like

Steve, Thanks for the Starlink Flat Panel Review. You mentioned in your article about the issue with the cable mounted forward. What would prevent a person from just flipping the Starlink backwards on the mount? That way the cable would enter the dish on the aft side of it. Looking at the angle of the cut out for the cable in the dish, there might be some water left standing in it, but some dielectric grease may resolve that.

1 Like

Many thanks for this fantastic review Steve.
When will you test Starlink offshore? I’d really like to know how far from the coast it works, or even if it can work in the middle of the ocean (probably not).

1 Like

A lot of people will be in the same situation, but the Terms of Service do clearly state that you’re not supposed to be using it while in motion so… Hopefully even if they do that, it would still work at anchor at least.

Yeah that’s something I’ve been thinking about for the last week or so. Even on some power boats, it will be hard to find a spot where you can flat mount a 23x20 square without much being in its way. Putting it on a smaller pole like what folks have been doing with the current one probably won’t work given the size and weight. Seaview have some mounts that could handle it, but they’re quite a bit bigger.

Given how angled the entry point is, a lot of water would gather in it. I’m trying to think why you couldn’t mount it backwards, and there’s something that makes me think it wouldn’t be possible, but I’m not sure why. I have serious concerns about the cable and weatherproofing in general, so I think I’d rather keep it facing forwards AND fill it with dielectric grease - that’s actually something I was just chatting with someone about. That way if water did get in, it would drip out.

I won’t be testing it in the open ocean - I am a coastal cruiser. Many others have tested the standard dish offshore, as well as the Maritime dish, which is the same as this one, has been used by many large ships and yachts offshore without any issues.

Speaking of cable concerns… I was underway today for about 1.5 hours, had a few waves I was dealing with, and some spray, although I doubt the water hit the Starlink. Nevertheless, when I arrived at the anchorage, I got this alert in the app that I’ve never seen before. I looked at the cabling, and didn’t see anything obvious, so I powered everything down, unplugged and reconnected everything, and it appears to be working fine.

Even with the alert, I was still getting normal performance… So we will see how this goes…