Supercharged Victron displays & push alerts

Victron has great visibility with their GX series of products, but there's an open source product that makes it even better. And recently Victron have updated their systems so you can get push alerts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://seabits.com/supercharged-victron-displays-push-alerts/

One thing Steve didn’t mention in here that’s an even more awesome ability of the guimods framework – inline tank and temperature monitors from that main dashboard!

(Ignore that we’re out of fresh water – we got pumped out and emptied the fresh water tanks while we are away from the boat for a bit, so I’m pulling this up remotely over the VRM remote console. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thanks for posting your screens and adding the details about tanks and temperatures. I have those elsewhere and like they way they are displayed, but I know of a number of folks including @deregtd who like having all of this data on one screen. Keep packing it in!

Great article. Does this mean there is a way to get data from Smart Lithium batteries through the VRM? I get more data on my battery stats thru the Bluetooth interface than I do thru my Cerbo / VRM interface. I have wanted to be able to see battery temp and cell voltage data on the VRM. And my boat is 800 miles away, well beyond Bluetooth range.

This looks super useful! Where is the data for tank levels coming from though? I don’t remember that being part of the system but perhaps you just focused on the lifepo4 aspects in the recent article. Looking for a reliable holding tank monitor solution and would be neat if it integrated with this UX and the rest of the Victron data perhaps.

Mike, the Cerbo has inputs for up to four resistive tank sensors on its own, and you can add tank sensors of other kinds by using Victron’s GX Tank 140 sensor box, which connects to the Cerbo (or other Venus OS device using USB. A good article about it on Panbo recently: Tank monitoring with Victron GX Tank 140, accuracy matters - Panbo

Hartley
S/V Atsa

1 Like

Great article. I got the updated display without any issues. At some point, I would like the graphic to be able to show the Wakespeed500/Alternator as a tile. Not sure if that can be done. (My other Victron wish is to be able to prioritize PV charging over shore power when it is available and appropriate. Certainly not germane to this thread)
Thanks again…

1 Like

With the Wakespeed integration into the Lynx BMS, I wonder if it isn’t something that could be done, although it would require the Lynx I would imagine. I have both, although I’m not using the Wakespeed right now. Something to add to the list of stuff to test…

@bearcem, Victron recently added a solar priority mode, if you have a Multiplus shore charger/inverter. (Google for details). Before that you could kind of achieve the same thing by changing voltages in charge profiles but it wouldn’t be as convenient.

Re: Wakespeed on GuiMods - I would like that too! It looks like GuiMods already has an alternator tile (which will be hidden by default when its inactive). I haven’t started our engine up yet, but our Wakespeed is integrated with the CerboGX and shows up in the device list on the GX display. So I’m hoping it will show in GuiMods - I’ll be testing that soon.

1 Like

FYI the alternator does show up as a tile. Very nice (although I’d like different data displayed - I’m considering making my own GuiMods fork to customize the display data).

Also worth noting: I’m turning off auto-update and would recommend not using that. GuiMods author pushed out a bug yesterday which caused the display to white screen of death (crash / not work basically). My first thought was we had a hardware issue or electrical issue. Fortunately I didn’t waste too much time investigating wiring before it magically fixed itself (about 14 hours later) when it auto-updated with the fix.

Our electrical display is used daily and is a critical component so I don’t think doing updates instantly and automatically in the background (there’s no way to get notified when it happens either) is a good idea for us given how critical it is. With manual updates, we would’ve never picked up the buggy release.

1 Like

I had the same issue with GuiMods where my display was unusable for about a day due to the bug. White screen, no response, etc.

I agree that automatic updates are probably not a good idea after seeing this!

thank you for sharing this info. Do you know if the Temperatures probes plugged into my Cerbo GX will share and show on the Nema 2000 network?

It looks like they don’t support that, at least as of this article I found.

I noticed some folks use wireless temperature sensors e.g., the Ruuvi Temp tags. That information is displaying on their Cerbo Dashboard. Do you know how they are doing this?

Ruuvi tags connect easily into the Cerbo via bluetooth. Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_aOZH2lPg

2 Likes

I love Ruuvi tags. I have them in various different spots that are hard to get normal wired sensors into. I’ve used both the Victron Cerbo and Signal K on a PC to gather the data, although Signal K is a bit more flaky and difficult to configure.

Thank you much. Thats pretty cool. Makes me want to add all sorts of other sensors.

I have a few of the Bluetooth Govee Temp sensors already. Are they compatable with the Cerbo also?

I am not at the boat but wasn’t able to try from here but…

I don’t think the Govee sensors are compatible with the Cerbo. Generic bluetooth sensors could potentially work with Signal K but there might be some software tweaks required to get them working. I’ve not used Govee’s temp sensors - I have a bunch of their lights aboard though.

Another avenue is Home Assistant. I use it extensively for controlling lights, but it can also output pretty much anything it is gathering over to Signal K which could then put it on another network (NMEA 2000) if you wanted it to. You could use the Govee temp sensor to Home Assistant too just natively - the Home Assistant mobile app is pretty nice.

Thank you much for the info everyone. Also would like to monitor the AC Voltage on the dashboard. Would be great to see exactly what voltage the generator/Shore Power is coming in at.

Is that a setting or a device I need to measure and receive that info?

Thanks again

1 Like